Information about Castleton
Northern Winter Study has been running since the 1980s and is a mini Bible School where brethren, sisters and their families are invited to spend some time together in fellowship and Bible Study. Most years there is a main speaker giving a series of addresses and in addition there are also a few other studies, plus walks, rambles, evening hymn singing at a cavern entrance and other activities for old and young alike, with a full children’s programme included.
Whilst the accommodation is a youth hostel, many of the bedrooms are en suite and by having exclusive use of the facility we have plenty of room to spread out and time to enjoy fellowship together. There are also a small number of rooms available at guesthouses in the village at additional cost.
Losehill Hall Youth Hostel, Castleton. Our venue is now a lovely refurbished Victorian Gothic Mansion and Cobbled Mews set in formal gardens and 27 acres of parkland in the heart of the Peak District. The entrance is on the A625 from Sheffield / Hathersage and is at the east end of Castleton village, Post Code S33 8WB.
Registration and Parking. The Youth Hostel will be open for registration from 2.00pm on 24th December. There is adequate parking in the grounds of the Hostel.
Notes about the Hostel:
- All bedding is provided. You will need to bring your own towels, soap and an extra pillow if you need it. Most rooms are en suite or have an adjoining bathroom. Bedrooms will be allocated on arrival.
- Fire regulations are posted in each room. Please read on arrival and ensure your family is familiar with the procedure.
- Keycards will be provided for the rooms and these are to be returned at the end of the Study. Non-returned or damaged keys will be charged for by the Hostel at the rate of £5 each.
- All indoor activities will take place at the Hostel and all main studies will be held in the Morton room.
- The Hostel is locked each evening at 11.00 pm. All are requested to be in their own rooms and quiet between 11.00 pm and 7.00am.
Notes about the Northern Winter Study
- Sisters are asked to wear head coverings at all main meetings.
- Please do not bring anything that is likely to be annoying to anyone else or disruptive to the smooth running of the event.
- The Committee has decided that no books or CDs etc. are to be sold at Northern Winter Study.
- Parents are asked to make sure they know the whereabouts of their children at all times.
- Please remember to always wear your badge. We soon get to know each other, but the Warden needs to be able to identify who belongs to our group.
- During the event a collection will be taken for those who are able to make a contribution to assist in helping to keep NWS fees as low as possible.
- Sorry, no pets are allowed on site.
- Some bedrooms are located in the Mews building, which is separate from the main hostel. In earlier years the lighting to and from the Mews was inadequate and therefore you may want to bring a torch should your allocated bedroom be in this area.
- As we believe the Bible is wholly inspired (2 Tim 3:15-17; 2 Peter 1:20,21) and therefore infallible (John 10:35; Ps 19:7), we accept that the creation record in Genesis 1-3 is the truth regarding the origins of life on earth and does not allow for any form of evolution. We accept the plain, inspired testimony of Moses, Paul and the Lord Jesus, amongst others, in support of this (Ex 20:8-11; Acts 17:24-26; Matt 19:4-6) and welcome anyone who also accepts this doctrine.
Catering and Dining Room Arrangements:
The NWS Committee plans and supplies all meals – there are no outside caterers on site. As such, we rely on help from as many as are able, to prepare, serve and clear away the food.
There are two dining areas:
- The Burbage Dining Room is located to the right of Reception and is the larger of the two rooms. There is seating for over 80 and all are welcome to use this room but priority must be given to families with children. This room will also be used for lessons and consequently it is important that the room is left uncluttered.
- The Ashton Dining Room is located to the left of Reception and has seating for 40 adults. This room will also be used for lessons. Facilities for making hot drinks will be available at all times in the Burbage Dining Room. Please keep this area clean and tidy. Only disposable cups with lids may be taken to your rooms.